Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Shepherd Will Supply My Need


There are two people who should be credited with providing the English speaking church with its best words for worship: King David and Isaac Watts (1674-1748). David (though not English, I realize) wrote many of the Spirit-inspired Psalms that have been in constant use by the people of God since they were composed over 3,000 years ago. Watts is so important in his contributions that he has long been considered the "Father of English Hymnody." Of his more than 600 hymns, many are still found in modern hymnals and sung by millions - now in translation - every Sunday. Consider the wealth he has bequeathed us in texts like "O God, Our Help in Ages Past," "Jesus Shall Reign," "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross," and our anthem this week: "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need."

One of Watts' greatest achievements was his work on The Psalms of David Imitated in the Language of the New Testament, published in 1719. This was a hugely popular work, so much so that it threatened to replace metrical Psalm singing in churches all over the English-speaking world. Watts attempted to rephrase David's words as a New Testament believer, explaining that "Where the Psalmist describes religion by the fear of God, I have often joined faith and love to it. Where he speaks of the pardon of sin through the mercies of God, I have added the merits of a Savior. Where he talks of sacrificing goats or bullocks, I rather choose to mention the sacrifice of Christ, the Lamb of God. Where he promises abundance of wealth, honor, and long life, I have changed some of these typical blessings for grace, glory, and life eternal, which are brought to light by the gospel, and promised in the New Testament." With one setting of Psalm 23 (he wrote three; one in each of of the most common hymn meters of his day), little reformulation was necessary:

My Shepherd will supply my need:
Jehovah is His Name;
In pastures fresh He makes me feed,
Beside the living stream.
He brings my wandering spirit back
When I forsake His ways,
And leads me, for His mercy’s sake,
In paths of truth and grace.

Notice how conscientious Watts is in his rendering of the next section of the Psalm, which correspond to verses 4 and 5 in David's version. As David does, Watts changes the voice from second person to first person, adding a even deeper tone of intimacy. Here the psalm becomes prayer:

When I walk through the shades of death
Thy presence is my stay;
One word of Thy supporting breath
Drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in sight of all my foes,
Doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows,
Thine oil anoints my head.

The final stanza makes the clearest reference to the sermon text for this week - "Give us this day our daily bread" - while reminding us that God's provision extends past our temporal needs to our eternal destiny:

The sure provisions of my God
Attend me all my days;
O may Thy house be my abode,
And all my work be praise.
There would I find a settled rest,
While others go and come;
No more a stranger, nor a guest,
But like a child at home.

3 comments:

  1. "Like a child at home" - my favorite line. I vividly remember the joy and security I felt as a young child in just being at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marne, I agree - that's one of many great lines in the hymn. Makes me want to make chicken soup (which, incidentally, was my plan all along.)

    Extra points to you for being the first to comment on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great posts..informative but beyond that a continued blessing to the reader. Do keep writing and thanks.

    ReplyDelete