Friday, January 15, 2010

Thy Kingdom Come


The song the choir is singing this Sunday (January 17) was composed several years ago by Greg and Linda Hytha as part of a collection of songs written as meditations on the Lord's Prayer. It was chosen for use with our choir for the same reason. Yet, not only is the song appropriate as an accompaniment to the sermon series, it is a timely reminder of God's sovereignty in the midst of human suffering. Recent events in Haiti have brought issues of faith to the fore again as together we ask, "Why, Lord?"

I contacted Greg and Linda, who lead worship at Grace Valley Fellowship in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, and asked them to share the story behind the song. They were gracious enough to offer the following:

"Thy Kingdom Come" is set during the last week of the life of Christ when He is in the garden of Gethsemane asking the Father to let this cup pass if it be His will. The correlation to our lives (which I think is so powerful) is that God has chosen a path for each one of us to walk and it is a path that will, in the end, bring the most glory to God. When we submit to God in obedience and defer to Him and His plan for our life, which may include great suffering, we can take heart that He has chosen this path in order to bring about His great eternal purposes. "I accept Your will and I will until I die..."

I hope this message brings meaning and purpose to those in your congregation who are suffering seemingly without cause. May they find peace in this... "For I know that You have a plan and I am the only man who can do what You have for me to do..." Through accepting the will of God they enter into the suffering of Christ and also into His glory.


May the words of this song truly be our prayer, now and always:

Lord of all, Lord of my heart and soul,
You have called and I will follow.
I will seek your face, and by your grace
I will walk with you 'til my life is through.

Lord, I know that you have a plan.
Ev'ry day I will yield to your Spirit.
As your will is done, may your kingdom come.
Will you let it start now within my heart as I pray:

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Not mine, but thine, thy will divine
On earth as it is in heaven, Lord.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment